Dev Diary Entry, 27th April 2021
When I started working from home last year I bought myself a standing desk. It’s a basic model from Ikea with a manual crank to adjust the height. I really like using it, but on busy days I often forget to change the height and end up sitting all day! Another thing no one tells you is that you need to build up your stamina: I could barely manage half an hour standing when I started. But the best reason for me to have a tall standing desk is that I can keep my computer out the way and safe from my inquisitive toddler!
What I've been doing this week:
- Following Stephanie Eckles’s Build An Eleventy (11ty) Site From Scratch on Egghead - I love Egghead courses because they are waffle-free, and this particular course is free too!
What I've been reading this week:
- My Top Ten Tips for Surviving and Thriving in Developer Relations - The tip that resonated with me the most was that every post can be turned into another content form.
- The styled-components Happy Path - I always learn something new from a Josh Comeau article so I was excited when he published this one about styled-components. I’m definitely keeping the advice about Isolated CSS in mind next time I build a component.
What I've been watching this week:
- The Golden Ratio | Principles of Design - From the Figma YouTube channel. I’ve encountered the Golden Ratio before, but this video has made the idea click for me and now I’ve started looking for it everywhere!
- THE GAP by Ira Glass - From Daniel Sax on Vimeo. It’s only 2 minutes long and a feast for the eyes, go and watch it, especially if you’re trying to get better at design like me!
✍️ View all my Dev Diary posts here.